Leaderboard
728x15

Nice Free Photo Software photos

Large Rectangle

A few nice free photo software images I found:


Flickr.Manager
free photo software
Image by egoroff
As you may know Flickr has an excellent API and there is a good .NET library that implements that API. It's name is FlickrNet (http://www.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?ProjectName=FlickrNet). Current software that can manage your Flickr stuff isn't very comfortable and useful so i decided to make a tool for me to manage Flickr photos, to upload them, to view my contact's photos, to backup, to make comments, to search etc.
To do the task i created a .NET application using the abovementioned library. The app is free. It doesn't do many things i have planned but i would like to show it other people for testing purposes. The app has no documentation yet but it'll have.

System requirements:

Windows XP SP2/Windows Vista
.NET Framework 2.0 (Vista includes it by default)

The application has English and Russian interface (depends upon current session language).

You can download it from here www.egoroff.spb.ru/download/Flickr/setup.exe

Bugs and comments send to flickrmanager (at) gmail.com

PS: And finally i eat my own dog food i.e. i use the tool myself.


Disk Inventory X revisited
free photo software
Image by schoschie
This tool makes a cushion tree map of the contents of your hard disk(s). Each "cushion" is a file, and its size in the image corresponds to its file size on disk. The different colors are mapped to different file types (for example, blue is JPEG files, yellow is application bundles). What's special is that the cushions are arranged in such a way that they show the directory structure. A rectangular area full of cushions is a directory, which may of course contain subdirectories, which are visualised by smaller rectangular areas inside of it.

It's a very good piece of free software, and I think it's come a long way since I last tested it. It's pretty fast (went through my entire 70 GB disk in a couple of minutes), apparently quite stable and makes it very easy to spot big files. Also, it's a neat toy to play around with, if you are a nerd.
www.derlien.com/

Alternatives on Mac OS X:
WhatSize – (Cocoa native, .99) www.id-design.com/software/whatsize/index.php
JDiskReport (Java app, free) – www.jgoodies.com/freeware/jdiskreport/
GrandPerspective [thanks to Jannis for the tip] – grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net/


Exifer tutorial: Introduction
free photo software
Image by Zepfanman.com
Exifer tutorial part 0 of 7: Introduction.
For the past few years, I've been applying EXIF and IPTC data directly to my photos before uploading them to Flickr. This has been helpful to me because I now have the same photo info on my computer as I do in Flickr; previously, I'd post a photo to Flickr and then add all the metadata to it; the photo on my computer would be left without the metadata that was later added to Flickr. Additionally, as soon as I upload photos to Flickr, the title, description, and other metadata are already correct, so people don't have to wonder what "IMG_1349" is. Hopefully you'll get the idea from the photo tutorial in this set. Download Exifer (Windows only) first and get a feel for its interface, then dig in to the tutorial!
1. Editing with Exifer
2. Dates
3. Title and description
4. Tags
5. XnView uploading
6. Adding GeoTags
7. GeoTagging tools

IMPORTANT: Note that the Yuan.CC tools (Flickr Group page) I mention evolve every few weeks; I only expect them to get better! My technique is nowhere near perfect, (Exifer only works in Windows, for example); I have to use several tools to get the job done and it would be nice if a software engineer could come up with a simple, catch-all app. Exifer turned out to be the best, though, after trying several other metadata editors. Visit the Flickr Hacks and Yuan.CC group discussions for the latest developments.

Also important to note: Test your photo editing program before and after using Exifer. Many newer programs don't have this problem, but Paint Shop Pro 9, for example, strips the IPTC data from photos. I try to retouch and crop my photos and then add metadata with Exifer afterwards to make sure I don't run into this problem. Most of the screenshots in this set use my Doggles 2 photo. Hopefully this tutorial will be even more helpful than July's Flickr Enhancements (outdated). Consult The Free Dictionary if you need help with the terminology.

Please make general comments on the main set page. Specific comments can be added to each picture, as well.
exifer0-intro

Banner