Leaderboard
728x15

A FAVORITE AUNT IN 1963

Large Rectangle

Some cool my photos images:


A FAVORITE AUNT IN 1963
my photos
Image by roberthuffstutter
A Short Tribute To My Aunt, My Other Mother...

My aunt dorothy. 1905--1972. If one looks carefully, the framed picture holds a photo I sent her while I was overseas in USN. The coat belongs to my Uncle. My aunt was almost always cold and often wore one of my Uncle Jim's jackets or shirts as she went about her day.

Aunt Dort never learned to drive. Neither her mother or dad or sister ever drove a car. When she was growing up, she obviously walked everywhere until she began high school sometime around 1917. As a youth who spent much time with my aunt, I recall the long walks we took when she needed groceries that were not available from one of two neighborhood groceries only a few blocks from home. For whatever reasons, she would not purcase meat products from either of the small grocery stores, thus we walked about three miles to what was a community called Fairmount where there was a Supermarket.

We walked the railroad tracks to and from the small town of Fairmount. It was not until after I began high school that a television came to live with us. My uncle traded a beautiful green 1938 Pontiac two door for a black and white television. My aunt never lost her fascination for television and made it a special event to watch I Love Lucy and Lawrence Welk. Looking back on those years, I am glad we did not have television early on; they bought me a radio for my room and every evening I sat up on a high bar stool in front of my radio placed on top of an encyclopedia case filled with fairly recent encyclopedias published in 1939.

My entertainment was the Lone Ranger, Gangbusters, and a few other other classic programs that had not yet become classics. Sky King was another good one. The sound effects and the stories intrigued me and helped me to create illustrations within my mind as I listened.

My aunt was a very special lady, indeed. Throughout my elementary school days, she would fix me toast and hot chocolate with a bowl of Wheaties before sending me off to school. When I think about her, I always remember how sweet and gentle she was, never one to raise her voice though she must surely have had many reasons to discipline me for antics not consistent with her values. When she learned that I was drinking beer while in high school, she never understood how I could rationalize that it was okay. Of course, it wasn't okay.

Her wisdom and kindness, two of her many virtues as a little woman who was hardly five foot tall. If I had it to do over, I would wait until I was out of school and on my own before drinking beer. That would have pleased her.


My New Toy
my photos
Image by aussiegall
I couldnt help it, I saw it on Saturday and fell in love. The saleman said "Would you want to hold it and see how it feels ?" I know I should have said no then but it looked so darn good. Once I had it in my hands I knew I had to have it " Ill go home and have a think about it" I said. Today I gave in and went back and bought it. I still plan on using my little Sony for macros (until I get a macro lens) but look forward to playing with my new toy.

Banner