Leaderboard
728x15

Nice My Photos photos

Large Rectangle

A few nice my photos images I found:


Me and my sister Paula, very early 1967
my photos
Image by marymactavish
The slippers I'm wearing were part of my grandmother's collection of Maidu (and other native American) artifacts. Many of her items, including the moccasins, were made for her especially, by her good friend Lizzie Enos, one of the last Maidu people to live in tradtional ways. "Grandma Lizzie" made the cradleboard for our family. We didn't ride around in it hanging from someone's head, but sometimes were strapped in and propped up for safekeeping.

The moccasins are now in the "Pate Collection" of Native American artifacts associated with the Placer County Museum. I went to see it, once. It was weird, seeing the slippers I wore around Grandma's house on vacation and at Christmas sitting on a museum shelf. I thought, "How can anyone use them there? That's silly."

(The headboard was used by many children. These were the fifth and sixth in this family, and the first shared it, too. I think it was made specfically for our family, as a gift from Lizzie Enos to my mother or grandmother, but I'm not positive.)

(Addendum: In the Pate Museum, these slippers are identified as coming from Plains Indians, so I'm not sure about the story I heard.)

Banner