Leaderboard
728x15

Cool Image Post images

Large Rectangle

A few nice image post images I found:


HDR post processing
image post
Image by Victor W.
PLEASE NOTE: This is not my image and is simply an offer of help with post-processing HDR work. Full accreditation should be given to the photographer mentioned below.

I recently came across Hühnerauge's work after a comment on one of my images and seeing his excellent work on the qtpfsgui group.
His stream contained an image Aachner Dom. A wonderful image of the Aachen Cathedral Dome, which I felt could be improved slightly with a few post processing steps to give back some 'depth'. After a few flickr mails, (his English is far better than my German!), he graciously agreed to allow me to work on his image.

The original image top left is the HDR that was produced, (and I think was done very well considering this was a handheld shot!)
(Please note that the following steps can be adjusted to suit - A destructive method is used so ensure that you work on a copy of the image - Non destructive layer methods can be utilised as effectively.)

Firstly I increased the colour saturation:
Paintshop - Adjust -> Hue & Saturation -> Hue, Saturation, Lightness -> Increase saturation approximately 10%
Photoshop - Image -> Adjust -> Hue/Saturation -> Increase saturation approximately 30%, (photoshop is less aggresive)

Then I adjusted the Brightness/Contrast using the 'curves' method:
Paintshop - Adjust -> Curves -> use a flat 'S' shape
Photoshop - Image -> Adjust -> Curves -> (5,12) and (240,230) were the setpoints I used for a flat 'S' shape.

I then duplicated the layer and used a multiply to boost the colours and contrast more giving better seperation between light and dark:
Paintshop - Duplicate layer, set to Multiply, adjusted opacity of multiply layer to 50%
Photoshop - Duplicate layer, set to Multiply, adjusted opacity of multiply layer to 30%, (Photoshop being more aggresive.)

I then flattened the layers and used a non destructive dodging method to bring back out some detail lost in the shadows.
I also noticed a 'sensor dust spot'(?) that I removed using the clone tool.

Finally the image was flattened and I applied an 'Unsharp Mask' to the lightness channel, (far better way of increasing sharpness.)
Paintshop - Image -> split channels -> HSL, then select the Lightness layer to apply the unsharp mask, recombine the layers using Image -> combine channels -> HSL
Photoshop - Image -> Mode -> Lab Color, select the Lightness layer using the channels selector and apply the unsharp mask. Convert back to RGB using Image -> Mode -> RGB.

I feel that the image now has a better depth to it and although I know HDR is not to everyones personal taste, I find this a very 'pictoral' and pleasant image. I hope Hühnerauge is pleased with this rendition and that this may help him with further images he may produce.
(As mentioned my German is terrible, so if this doesn't translate well maybe someone would offer a German translation if this is required.)

Thankyou 'Hühnerauge' for this, I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Qtpfsgui may not be the most recognised HDR software out there, but for free it definately can produce excellent results when used wisely.

Banner